Please note that these photos are frequently graphic and show a glimpse
of the horrors of Nazi Germany's Final Solution of the Jews during World War II.
These photos begin to tell the story of the holocaust.
- [PHoH, p. 287] A detail from a photograph of the Auschwitz-Birkenau
extermination camp, taken by a US plane in 25 August 1944. Krema III
is clearly seen, and the roof vents through which the Zyklon-B was
introduced are visible.
- [AotH, Vol. I part 2, picture number 827] A pile of the victims
glasses at Auschwitz.
- [Pressac, p. 420] Sorting the shoes of victims in Auschwitz. Like
all the other property of the victims, it was sent to Germany,
except for what was left in the camp by the fleeing SS.
- [Belsen, p. 256] A mass grave in the Belsen camp.
- [KZ-STAAT, p. 144-145] Pile of the victims shoes at the Belzec
- [PHoH, p. 75] German soldiers brutalizing a Jew in Poland.
- [PHoH, p. 78] German soldiers cutting the beard of an elderly Jew
- [Pressac, p. 261] The current state of the gas chamber of Krema II
in Auschwitz; it was dynamited by the fleeing SS in an attempt to
hide its criminal purpose and usage.
- [Pressac, p. 422] One of the cremation pits used to burn the victims
of the gas chambers in Auschwitz. These "burning pits" were
used mainly in the summer of 1944, when the extermination was
going at such a rate that the furnaces couldn't handle the
number of corpses.
- [Pressac, p. 247] In a letter from SS-Sturmbannfuehrer Jahrling to
SS-General Kammler, the cremating capacity of the five Auschwitz
crematoriums is specified as 4,756 per 24 working hours.
- [Pressac, p. 486] Both sides of a door which probably served as
a door to an extermination gas chamber, and was discovered in
the building yard at Auschwitz. Note the protective grid for the
peephole, placed on the *inside* of the door, to prevent the victims
from breaking the glass.
- [TGOD, p. 132] A mass execution of Jews in Nazi occupied Soviet Union.
- [TGOD, p. 162] A mass execution of Jews in Nazi occupied Soviet Union.
The SS man is firing at a Jewish woman who is wounded and trying
to get up.
- [Himmler, p. 434, PHoH, p. 185] A mass execution of Jews in Nazi occupied
Soviet Union. Naked Jews, including a young boy, just before their murder.
- [PHoH, p. 186] A mass execution of Jews in Nazi occupied Ukraine.
- [Pressac, p. 334] The furnaces of Krema II in Auschwitz.
- [Pressac, p. 417] The gas chambers of Krema IV in Auschwitz. As
opposed to Kremas II and III, these gas chambers were above ground, and
the Zyklon-B was introduced through small openings in the wall, which
had shutters on them (visible in the photograph).
- [PHoH, p. 37] Circa 1935: two Jewish pupils are humiliated before
their classmates. The inscription on the blackboard reads "The
Jew is our greatest enemy, beware of the Jew".
- [PHoH, p. 71] German soldiers on the way to Poland. The inscription on
the railway car reads: "We are going to Poland to strike at the Jews".
On the left, an antisemitic drawing of a Jew.
- [Fleming, p. 92-93] A report from Himmler to Hitler, listing
363,211 Jews murdered in the Nazi occupied Soviet Union during
August-November of 1942.
- [Pressac, p. 438] An inventory for the underground floor of Krema III
in Auschwitz, specifying the presence of "14 brausen" (14 shower
heads) and one "gasdichtetur" (gas-tight door) in the gas chamber
(Leichenkeller 1). This room, sometimes referred to as a "gassing
cellar" in the SS-correspondence, had fake shower heads installed
to mislead the victims into believing they were going to be washed.
"Leichenkeller 2" (referred to many times as an "undressing room"
in SS-correspondence), doesn't have a gas tight door neither shower
- [PHoH, p. 329] When the Jews of the Warsaw ghetto learned the truth
about the "resettlement" action, some of them rebelled. The Nazis
responded by shelling and bombing the ghetto, till all the occupants
died or surrendered.
- [Pressac, p. 418] An overview of Krema IV in Auschwitz. The gas
chambers are in the back; in the foreground, the morgue and the
- [PHoH, p. 58] A synagogue burns in Siegen, Germany, on November 10,
1938 - "Kristallnacht".
- [AotH, Vol. I part 2, picture number 863] A pile of the victims
shoes at Maidanek.
- [KZ-STAAT, p. 144-145] A scene of horror at the extermination camp of
Maidanek: possibly in a desperate attempt to cover their tracks,
the SS burned corpses of victims.
- [NCaA, Vol. VIII, p. 773] Part of a report detailing murder of Jews
in the Nazi occupied Baltic states and White Russia by Einsatzgruppe
(special action unit) A, submitted at February 1, 1942. There were
four such "Einsatzgruppen" who carried out the massacres of Jews in
the Soviet Union.
- [PHoH, p. 310] Children subjected to medical experiments in Auschwitz.
- [ToWC, Vol. I, p. 899] High-Altitude medical experiments in Dachau.
In order to test how pilots who have to eject from their planes will
fare, SS doctors simulated high-altitude conditions in a chamber, and
exposed people to these conditions. Many prisoners died during such
experiments. In order for the simulation to be as real as possible,
the prisoner is hung by parachute straps.
- [ToWC, Vol. I, p. 907] Scenes of horror at Nazi concentration camps,
were people were subjected to medical experiments.
- [PHoH, p. 310] Nazi medical experiments: a prisoner is submerged in
a tank filled with cold water. The goal of this type of experiments
was to check how long German pilots, who had to parachute into
the cold north sea, would survive. Different types of clothing
were tested, as well as different methods for reviving the
experimental subjects who survived.
- [Pressac, p. 322] The plan of the gas chamber of Krema II in Auschwitz.
The air extraction system (which the Holocaust deniers claim didn't
exist) is clearly shown: "entluftungskanal" means air extraction
duct, and "Beluftung" means ventilation. Remains of the air-extraction
system can still be seen in the ruins.
- [Pressac, p. 557] A letter asking for a truck to bring Zyklon-B to
Auschwitz; uses the standard camouflage term "resettlement of
Jews" to refer to extermination. Another such document asks for
"material for special treatment" - another term used to disguise
extermination (more on these terms in our file of Nazi documents).
Comments inside square brackets [...] are mine.
Radio message 13
SS Garrison Radio Station Auschwitz
Origin WVHA [SS economic administration head office]
Received 2nd October 1942 in the Kommandantur
of Auschwitz Concentration camp
The movement authorization for one 5 Ton truck with trailer to
Dessau and back in order to pick up material for the resettlement
of the Jews, is hereby accorded.
The authorization is to be given to the driver.
SS Lieutenant Colonel
Permanent representative of the head
of the service with the rank of Waffen SS
For file [That's what the F.D.R initial]
Head of the radio station
- [Belsen, p. 104] SS-women at the Belsen camp.
- [TMWC, Vol. XXXII, p. 271] A shrunken head of a prisoner, discovered
at the Buchenwald camp. In order to terrorize the other prisoners,
the SS guards hanged two shrunken heads in the middle of the camp.
- [TMWC, Vol. XXX, p. 433] The spoils of the victims: gold teeth and
dental work, collected by the Nazis. After the war, the allies found
many documents listing quantities of gold teeth transferred from the
camps to banks inside Germany; also, a secret vault was discovered,
containing (among other valuables) 384 pounds of gold and silver
teeth (see file of Nazi documents for details).
- [PHoH, p. 299] A mass grave in the extermination camp of Treblinka.
The abbreviations used for the sources are the following:
Trials of War Criminals Before the Nuernberg Military Tribunals -
Washington, U.S Govt. Print. Off., 1949-1953.
Trials of Major War Criminals Before the International Military
Tribunal, Nuremberg, 1946.
'The Good Old Days' - E. Klee, W. Dressen, V. Riess, The Free Press,
Auschwitz: Technique and operation of the gas chambers - J.C Pressac,
the Beate Klarsfeld Foundation, NY, 1989.
Nazi Conspiracy and Aggression - Washington, U.S Govt. Print.
Hitler and the Final Solution - G. Fleming, University of California
Press, Berkeley, 1984.
Der KZ-Staat - H. Kuhnrich, Dietz, Berlin 1983.
The Pictorial History of the Holocaust, Edited by Yitzhak Arad, Macmillan
Publishing Company, NY, 1990.
The Belsen Trial - Edited by R. Phillips, William Hodge and Company, 1949.
Himmler, Reichsfuehrer-SS - P. Padfield, Henry Holt and Co, NY, 1990.
Archives of the Holocaust - Edited by S. Milton and R. Klemig, Garland
publishing inc., NY and London, 1990.
were scanned and comments written by Daniel Keren (firstname.lastname@example.org).
HTML and graphic format conversion by: David
Go back to the Holocaust Page
Last updated: January 1997
Copyright © 1990-2012 Shamash: The Jewish Network. All rights reserved.